Monday, September 29, 2008

Sarita's Macaroni & Cheese - newyorkNY

345 East 12th Street
New York, New York 10003
212-358-7912
.
In my opinion, macaroni and cheese is one of the most popular American comfort foods ever made. I love whipping up a box of Kraft's "Easy Mac," but I also love ordering a side of mac 'n' cheese to go with my fried catfish from Jesso's (Oakland, CA) or my filet mignon from Boa (Santa Monica, CA). Yet, never in my dreams, did I think a restaurant would open, specializing in this delicious dish.
.
Sarita's Macaroni and Cheese (also known as S'MAC), opened their doors in New York City on June 24th, 2006, and it didn't take long for this restaurant to be all over the media. After reading so many great reviews, including articles from the, "New York Post," and, "USA Today," and even stealing a little segment on the, "Oprah Winfrey Show," Brian and I knew we needed to see what all the hype was about. We always love going to places that are known to have their city's best. Now it was time to try New York's best Macaroni and Cheese.
.
Hidden in the streets of the East Village, we found the ever-so-appropriate orange themed restaurant, after a day of already stuffing ourselves at several over places. I questioned ourselves if we should even try it because sometimes food doesn't taste as good on a full stomach. Yet, Brian insisted on going inside to look at the menu and when we did, it sounded too irresistible to pass up.

It's amazing how many different recipes can be created based on such a simple dish! The Alpine (Gruyere cheese with bacon) and the Napoletana (Fresh Mozzarella, roasted tomatoes, roasted garlic, and fresh basil) sounded amazing, nothing beat the 4 Cheese which consisted of Cheddar, Muenster, Gruyere and a touch of Pecorino.

All Macs can be served with either regular, multi-grain or gluten free elbow macaroni and with or without breadcrumbs. They also come in 4 different, clever named, sizes: Nosh, Major Munch, Mongo, and (my favorite) Partay! Although I really wanted to say "Partay!" at the register, Brian and I both knew we only had enough room for a Nosh. Yet, we definitely ordered regular elbow macaroni with breadcrumbs on top. After being given an order number, we found a cozy spot in the corner and waited for our mac and cheese to be served.

I couldn't refrain from looking at other people's plates which got me more excited for my own. Thank goodness it didn't take long for our order to come out and it couldn't have had a better presentation!
.

Served in a hot skillet with melted cheese spilling over the edges, I just stared with admiration. Never had I seen such perfectly browned cheese!

After our spoons broke through this flawless layer of cheese and breadcrumbs, we each scooped out a large spoonful of creamy macaroni and cheese. It's possible to have seen other dishes just as creamy, but after taking my first bite, the combination of cheeses was like nothing I had ever had. It was smooth, sharp, nutty and salty all at the same time. With so many different flavors, I was amazed with the clean finish. Being more than completely satisfied, I was now ready to try something beyond macaroni and just cheese (for the next time I come back, that is).

Recently, I was looking at the online menu to see what I was going to order next time I was in town and found the perfect order. S'MAC now offers something that wasn't on the menu when I visited; the "S'MAC Sampler" (for dine-in only).

All-American, 4 Cheese, Cheeseburger, La Mancha, Cajun, Napoletana, Alpine, and Parisienne. Need I say more?

1 comment:

alycasas said...

mmm. You must travel a lot to hit up these spots all over the country!