Thursday, September 18, 2008

Pizzapapalis: Greektown - detroitMI

553 Monroe St
Detroit, MI 48226
(313) 961-8020

Who would have thought my boyfriend would find his favorite pizza spot in good old Detroit? Although all eight locations are in the heart of Michigan (soon to be nine and one in Toledo, OH), this pizzeria actually specializes in Chicago's infamous deep-dish pizza. With pizza dough made from only the best grains in Kansas, premium cheese from the Wisconsin Cheese Heads, the freshest two-skinned, pear-shaped tomatoes from Italy (regular round tomatoes have five to seven skins), and a tangy secret sauce recipe from Naples, it's no wonder people from all over the country rave about this spot.
.
Can you imagine my confusion when Brian said to me, "I had the best pizza ever in Detroit!"? From that moment on, I anxiously waited for the day to try this amazing pizza he spoke of. Sure enough, the night we flew into town, we immediately walked the streets of Greektown to get some Detroit pizza ("Detroit" pizza?).

After being seated, we were each handed an extended menu of appetizers, soups and salads, subs, pizza, calzones, strombolis, flatbread sandwiches, pastas, and desserts. "Let's not waste our time," Brian said, as he turned the page to the pizza section.

I always trust a restaurants pizza combination, so we went with the first on the list, the V.I.P. The name was just as appetizing as the ingredients; Pepperoni, onions, mushrooms and green peppers. With a table of five men and one girl, it was decided an additional cheese pizza was enough to satisfy our hunger.

"Two large deep-dish pizzas, please. One V.I.P and one cheese. Will that be enough for all of us?"

"I recommend to get two mediums. They're pretty hefty pizzas and the average person eats about two slices."
.
Brian seemed reluctant, knowing the men dining with us ate large portions, but took the server's advice. After a 40-minute wait, the pizzas were delivered to our table.

"That's a medium?!?" The V.I.P. definitely lived up to its name. As my first slice of pizza was served on my plate, I noticed Chicago-style pizza is made reversely from the traditional pizza. The toppings, in this case, were not on "top." In fact, they were the first layer of our deep-dish pizza, followed by a thick layer of melted cheese and topped with Pizzapapalis' signature sauce.

As the Wisconsin cheese stringed from my mouth to my pizza after my first bite, I finally understood why Brian loved this place. By ordering a cheese pizza, we had the opportunity to see if all the base ingredients were really at their finest. With the perfect texture, the pizza crust was baked to perfection and the signature sauce was definitely tangy which didn't bite. So much flavor was in each bite and after two large slices of pizza, I couldn't fit any more in my stomach. Thank goodness we took the servers advice. With a few slices left over, it was exciting to know we were going to have a delicious breakfast the next morning.

No comments: