Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Rickshaw's Fine Asian Bistro - renoNV

4944 S Virginia St
Reno, NV, 89502
(775) 828-2335
.
I don't call myself a sushi connoiseur, but I've eaten at a great variety of restaurants that serve sushi. It's hard to believe, but I have yet to find a place that can beat Reno's all-you-can-eat Sushi. Especially if it's only $13.95 at Rickshaw's Asian Bistro.
.
I've never had sushi in Japan, but I can only expect it to be better from its origin. Yet, this past trip to Rickshaw's made me think otherwise.
.
Yoshimi, a friend who recently moved from Tokyo, loves sushi. She had never heard of all-you-can-eat sushi and was eager to try it. As our table of four stared at the menu, I diligently filled out a checklist of sushi orders as each person called out what they thought looked appetizing.
.
We started off with a few orders of Gyoza, Fish Balls and Yakiton (the most delicious crab egg-roll you'll ever taste). After the appetizers were devoured, our first plate of sushi came and Yoshimi's eyes enlargened.
.

How I wish I had a photo of Yoshimi's face when the plate of sushi was served. Yet, she had no idea how much we had ordered. As we began to eat away, a few more plates were delivered.

I love eating out with people who really appreciate food. Not only should a person enjoy the taste, but they should take the time to really look at the food and imagine all the efforts into creating it. I particularly love how the sushi was so pleasing to the eye.

As time went by, each piece of sushi began to disappear. Soon enough, each person couldn't fit any more sushi in their stomachs and only empty plates sat on the table.

Now was the moment of truth.
.
"Yoshimi, was the sushi as good as it is in Japan?"
.
To my surprise, she responded, "I think it's better here. Fresher fish, more creative rolls, and larger portions."
.
Well, maybe she didn't say it so easily as she still finds it hard to explain things in english.

1 comment:

odaryleo said...

I have to agree. I miss American sushi... Japanese sushi is quite boring. hmmmm maybe I could open an american sushi style bar here in Japan ;)